Friday, July 4, 2008

My Own Tale of Two Cities

Today wasn’t our most exciting day, but it did manage to wear us out just the same. It was a travel day from London to Paris. It took about two hours to get to the English Channel and then our coach drove right onto a ferry which took us across. The neat part was the port was in Dover, England so we got to see the White Cliffs of Dover. They were neat, but more impressive as you got further from the coastline, the stark whiteness of the cliffs against the ocean was just beautiful.

The famous White Cliffs of Dover

Dover Castle in the distance from the back of the Ferry

Our first moment in France!

We got into France in the early afternoon and then got ready for the four hour ride to Paris. I didn’t see much of the French countryside because my old drum corps skills came out and I could not stay awake on the bus to save my life! Every time I was on that bus, even if I wasn’t tired, I was sleeping.
We finally got into Paris around 5pm but it took us about an hour and a half to get through the city to the restaurant, the traffic was absolutely crazy! We had a nice dinner and the kids were excited because those who were approved could have a glass of wine or beer with dinner. This was exciting for them but not the staff who had to keep a watchful eye on kids trying to either drink more than they were allowed or steal some drinks from the table. They’ll try and get away with anything I guess.

We checked into our hotel and had a brief orientation to the city and our plans. We are doing the Lourve tomorrow and that sounds like quite the experience. We should be whisked by all the crowds and get right in which will be good, but the size of the Lourve is overwhelming, I know I won’t get to see even a good chunk of what is there.

It has been interesting getting used to a new city and how much different is it from London. Tomorrow will probably be a hectic and stressful day (we perform again) and the schedule is really tight, hopefully everyone will be on the same page so it can be a positive experience for everyone.

No comments: